Oberschöneweide Forest Cemetery
The cemetery was created from 1902 onward as a gift of the industrialist Emil Rathenau to the then still independent municipality of Oberschöneweide. As a co-founder of AEG, Rathenau felt closely tied to the rapidly growing industrial location. He not only had a chapel built in the geometrically laid out grounds, but also his own family grave. Alongside the final resting place for the Rathenau family, the cemetery also offered generous space for a growing population.
In the course of the decades ever more areas were added, and numerous other prominent figures from politics, business and the arts lie here in often highly decorative graves.
Write a comment