The East Substation of 1900 in Friedrichshain belongs to the first generation of Berlin substations. On the spacious ground floor the transformers converted the incoming current from power stations into the voltage required for various consumers. The design of the building and its façade fits well with the surrounding pre-1914 tenements. In fact, passers-by generally fail to notice its former technical purpose.
After the major destruction in the Second World War, a factory used the building for production purposes. For some years now the Berliner Kriminal Theater has staged plays in the listed monument, part of which is also used as a restaurant.Write a comment