Three substations were built over the course of the decades beside the former Oberspree Power Station. The first was completed in 1912 to distribute electricity to the immediate vicinity. When the power station ceased operations about twenty years later, a new substation took over in 1933 to supply industry in the Oberspree area. The elegant and light-filled clinker building with its conspicuous curves was planned by the renowned architect Hans Heinrich Müller.
Thanks to the latest technology, the building required a much smaller volume than previously usual. Today Skulpturengießerei Knaak uses the premises. Since 1995 the electricity supply function has been served by an even smaller new building.Write a comment