The Ullstein-Haus opened in 1927, with a vertical façade and imposing tower dominating the vicinity at Tempelhof Port. The structure designed by Eugen Schmohl features a reinforced concrete frame and an expressive brick exterior with striking sculptures. The interior housed the magazine and book print works and offices of the Ullstein publishing house. The Jewish owners had their property seized by the Nazis, but recovered the publishing house again after the war.
The building bears witness to Berlin’s importance as a newspaper publishing centre. The Axel Springer Group printed newspapers and magazines here until 1985. A change of use followed in the 1990s, and a major extension was built beside the canal.
Write a comment