U-Bahn Station Warschauer Straße
The terminus of underground line U1 at Warschauer Brücke and the associated buildings represent one of the most prominent structures of the Berlin U-Bahn. The station opened in 1902 and is connected from the south by the Oberbaum Bridge and a 360-metre viaduct. Especially the Oberbaum Bridge, designed by Otto Stahn, makes a prominent feature in the cityscape with its striking brick design. Concealed behind the station building are two former workshop buildings with four and eight tracks respectively.
Today they are only used as depots. The station itself was closed as long as the city was divided by the Berlin Wall, and had to be heavily restored afterwards.
Write a comment