Neukölln Municipal Baths
When they opened in 1914 Neukölln Municipal Baths were one of Europe’s largest, with up to 10,000 visitors daily. City architect Reinhold Kiehl and the architect Heinrich Best based their design on Classical references. As well as two swimming pools, which men and women used separately, and a sauna area, there was also an integrated library. So the purpose of the Baths was not only to improve the hygiene of the growing population, but also to promote their education.
Much of the fine original interior has survived. But visitors today tend to use the facility more for sport and exercise than for hygienic reasons.
Write a comment