Hobrechtsfelde Sewage Farm
The engineer and architect James Hobrecht had extensive sewage farms with basins to purify waste water (Rieselfelder) laid out in and outside Berlin at the end of the 19th century. But because this technique caused lasting contamination of enormous areas of land, more compact sewage treatment plants were prioritised from the mid-20th century. Nonetheless, the last sewage farms were still operating until just a few years ago.
The sewage farm at Hobrechtsfelde commenced operations in 1908. The complex included its own housing and social buildings for up to 300 staff and their families. Now converted into a recreation area, the fields offer space for numerous leisure activities.Write a comment