Rathenau Halls, former Transformatorenfabrik Oberspree
The gigantic complex of factories at the heart of the former Transformatorenwerk Oberspree (TRO) is known today as the Rathenau Halls. The ensemble of buildings built between 1898 and 1941 originally belonged to Deutsche Niles-Werkzeugmaschinen-Fabrik. After the First World War AEG (Allgemeine Elektricitäts Gesellschaft) took over the site and constructed additional notable buildings. During the East German period VEB Transformatorenwerk used many of the industrial buildings. After reunification the operation returned to AEG ownership, but was soon insolvent.
Today artists and creative professionals use many of the smaller rooms as workspaces. The larger spaces tend to be rented out temporarily for events such as fashion shows and video shoots.Write a comment