Haus des Rundfunks
The Haus des Rundfunks (broadcasting house) in Charlottenburg opened in 1931 and is one of the best-known works of the famous architect Hans Poelzig. With its striking architecture and the radio stations based there, it was the beacon of radio city Witzleben. But the Nazis misused the building for their propaganda, and after the war the Soviets occupied the building for several years. In 1954 Sender Freies Berlin (SFB) moved in, to inform and entertain the population of West Berlin. Thanks to its well-organised structure and a modern extension, the building is still used by a radio station today. Two studios complete the facilities and are also available for public concerts.
Write a comment