Former Reichsbank Building
Even today the former Reichsbank building west of the River Spree, also known as Haus am Werderschen Markt, remains one of Berlin’s largest buildings. Built in the late 1930s as an extension, the building has seen a wide range of uses over the decades. For a time it served as the seat of the central committee of the East German Communist Party. Today it houses parts of the German Foreign Ministry.
The Reichsbank was founded in 1876. As the state’s financial institute it largely directed the monetary policy of the newly founded German state. Over the course of subsequent decades the name of the bank changed successively in line with the changes of political system. But the building continued to house the central bank until the end of the Second World War.Write a comment