Light Bulb Quarter
The area known as Light Bulb Quarter, near Warschauer Straße U-Bahn station, is at first glance hard to recognise as a factory site. The structure of buildings and streets strongly resembles the neighbouring pre-1914 tenements. The multi-storey factories and office buildings were built from 1906 for DGA (Deutsche Gasglühlicht AG, engl.: German gas incandescent light company). Thanks to its U-Bahn and rail connections the site was already very well connected, and therefore highly sought-after building land.
After the First World War AEG and Siemens founded OSRAM GmbH and took over both the production and the buildings. During East German times NARVA exported its products to more than 50 countries and added a glass top to the tower. Today the old industrial buildings contain offices and small businesses.Write a comment