Energy Museum Berlin in former Steglitz Power Station
Energy Museum Berlin in the former Steglitz Power Station shows countless exhibits connected with the generation, supply, consumption and storage of energy. The museum association was founded in 2001 and is run by volunteers, most of whom are former staff members of the Berlin electricity company BEWAG.
The municipality of Steglitz, at that time still independent, built the power station and a tram depot beside the Teltow Canal in 1909. After conversion to become Germany’s largest battery-storage power station in 1984 it played a special role in ensuring a stable electricity supply for West Berlin. When the grids were joined after reunification the storage function became superfluous and the power station was taken out of service in 1994. But the neighbouring substation is still in service today.
Write a comment