Former Knorr-Bremse, Main Works
The invention of an innovative braking system turned Knorr-Bremse AG into one of Germany’s most important brake manufacturers about 1900. From 1903 the factory in Friedrichshain grew into a giant complex 160 metres long.
As production grew, especially for the railways, the firm needed even more space. So in 1922 the architect Alfred Grenader began building a new main works on a neighbouring site east of the railway tracks. It was connected to the existing buildings by an underpass. The complex with its four striking towers continued operations after the Second World War as the East German VEB Bremsenwerk. After reunification it briefly returned to the ownership of Knorr-Bremse AG, today it is used as an office building.
Write a comment