ewerk / Buchhändlerhof Substation
The complex today known as E-Werk has already experienced a series of phases of use and conversion. At the end of the 19th century one of Berlin’s first power stations was built here. About ten years later an accumulator block was added for intermediate storage. A new substation completed the complex – before finally a complete rebuild began in 1924. The famous architect Hans Heinrich Müller planned the conversion of the site, which now served just as a substation.
The substation was decommissioned in the mid-1980s, and only rediscovered after reunification. The venue became a nightclub renowned far beyond Berlin. After years of renovation the site reopened in 2006 and today serves as an event location, housing and workspace. A small rectifier station still supplies electricity to the U-Bahn.
Website of ewerk Two event spaces and a roof lounge with terrace are available to rent.Write a comment