The Bötzow Brewery was founded 150 years ago, and long remained a major purveyor of beer to Berlin’s population. It even supplied the german emperor. Its famous beer garden offered space for up to 6,000 guests to be served and entertained at the same time. The young entrepreneur Julius Bötzow succeeded in making his brewery the largest private beer producer in the whole of Germany.
The site at the bottom of Prenzlauer Allee grew continuously from 1884 to 1927. As well as extensive cellars and service buildings, Bötzow also had his private villa built on the site. After conversion into a share company and partial destruction in the Second World War, the brewery ultimately closed. But a few years ago work began on reactivating the site. A broad spectrum of uses are planned, including a centre for prosthetics and even a small private brewery.