By 1900, when it opened the head office building designed by Alfred Messel, the Berliner Handels-Gesellschaft (Berlin trading company) was already an important Bank for Berlin’s industrialists. The banker Carl Fürstenberg succeeded in building long-term relationships with major manufacturers. For example, the Chairman of the Board of AEG automatically chaired the administrative board of Berliner Handels-Gesellschaft.
After the Second World War the bank did most of its business in the new West German banking centre of Frankfurt am Main. But the building in Behrenstraße has remained a bank to this day. Initially the East German State Bank moved into the impressive premises, succeeded in 1994 by the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (Reconstruction Credit Institute).Write a comment