Built between 1874 and 1880, Anhalter Station was one of Berlin’s most important railway stations. For Berliners it was also the gateway to the south, with departures to places as far away as Italy and the south of France. Architecturally, too, Franz Schwechten’s building was one of the most important of its era. After suffering serious damage in the Second World War, the station was demolished in 1959. Passenger operations had already been suspended in 1952, following the division of the city.
All that survives of the original station today is the portico on Askanischer Platz. Some fragments from the station building, such as the Princes’ Entrance and Ludwig Brunow’s galvanoplasty “Day and Night” can be seen in the German Museum of Technology.Write a comment