Former Central Slaughterhouse
The Central Slaughterhouse opened in 1881 beside the Ringbahn tracks, to put an end to unhygienic back-court slaughtering practices. The complex grew steadily and until relatively recently gave its name to the S-Bahn station (today Storkower Straße). At its peak up to 15,000 animals arrived for slaughter daily. The site was heavily damaged in the Second World War and was of little importance thereafter, now largely supplying the immediate vicinity.
A transformation process that began in the early 1990s continues to this day. Even more new housing and commercial buildings are planned alongside the surviving historic buildings.Write a comment