AEG Turbine Factory
The AEG Turbine Factory designed by Peter Behrens is probably Berlin’s most famous industrial building. It is regarded as one of the key works of the Elektropolis. At the time, the architect Peter Behrens was artistic advisor to AEG (Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft, engl.: General electricity company). He designed the building in close cooperation with the engineer Karl Bernhard. This was the first time a factory façade had exposed the structure of the building, which marked a new direction in industrial architecture. Until then, industrial buildings had tended to hide behind decorative historical façades.
The hall was completed in 1909, and turbines are still manufactured there today, although not for AEG. Since 1977 Siemens AG has been developing new technologies at this location. It is therefore unfortunately not possible to visit the inside of the building.Write a comment